1. K-State home
  2. »Engineering
  3. »Civil Engineering
  4. »Undergraduate Program
  5. »Concurrent B.S/M.S.

Civil Engineering

Concurrent B.S./M.S. in Civil Engineering

The civil engineering department offers a concurrent B.S./M.S. degree program in which high-performing students can earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees with limited overlap of coursework. Students can choose between completing research with a thesis or a coursework only option. Financial assistance in the form of a graduate teaching assistantship, graduate research assistantship or tuition waiver/assistance are available after obtaining the B.S. degree. Undergraduate research assistantships are available before obtaining the B.S. degree.

Admission Requirements

To qualify for the program, undergraduate students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 after completing 80 hours towards the B.S.C.E. degree. Typically, it takes students an additional year to complete the concurrent B.S./M.S. degree. Students must have a CE faculty member, who is also appointed to the K-State graduate faculty, agree to serve as their major professor. In accordance with Graduate School policies, students can request a change in major advisor after acceptance into the concurrent B.S./M.S. degree program.

Apply now

Graduation Requirements

Students pursuing a research with thesis option M.S. degree can use 6 credit hours of approved 600 or above level courses and 3 credit hours of independent study (literature review and proposal of their research topic) to count toward both degrees. Students pursuing a coursework-only option MS degree can use 6 credit hours of approved 600 or above level courses to count towards both degrees. Students must satisfy all other requirements established for non-concurrent CE M.S. students. Students can receive their B.S. degree upon completion of all requirements established for non-concurrent B.S. students.

Special Requirements

The Graduate School requires that all graduate courses be taken for graduate credit during the semester of enrollment. The Graduate School will not change an undergraduate course to a graduate course after grades are assigned. If the student has deferred admission, then the student must submit a special enrollment request to enroll or change current course(s) to the graduate-level credit.

Students must complete 30 graduate credit hours with a graduate GPA of at least 3.0.

Students must complete all B.S.C.E. degree requirements with the exception that up to 6 credit hours of approved 600 or above level classes taken for graduate credit can also count toward their B.S. degree requirements and, for those students in the research with thesis option an additional 3 credit hours of independent study can also count toward their B.S. degree requirements.